Here is the best way I found to wire single or dual element brakes / turn signal lights on any vintage automobile using 2 DPDT 8 pin relays. Instead of patching in new wiring to old wiring it is much safer and easier to just upgrade your existing circuit. It is also cleaner and makes troubleshooting other circuits a breeze. Use the link below to purchase on amazon.
Alternatively, I have added other ways to wire turn & brake signals using relays you may have on hand in the photo gallery below, but I absolutely recommend the 8 post relays WITH SOCKET diagrammed above. If you require higher amperage, click above link and search within category.
Below is an amazon store I put together for all kinds of electrical lighting for all vehicles- Boats, Cars, Trailers, RV’s, etc.
Okay, so I have a 1966 Ford Bronco. You are on “HIS” website, by the way. Ol’ Blue is my boy and we’ve developed this relationship over the last 20 years where both of us have tried to kill each other numerous times. (i’ll get into that a bit down this journal entry)
I have made tough choices on what to repair and what to replace when it comes to my 50 year old ‘hobby horse’. Patchwork repairs are affordable, but not necessarily durable. Approximately 5 years ago, I downsized my whole world and began working to launch what will surely be the biggest and most visited website on the planet (The AdFor.US Solution).
Ironically, when Ol’ Blue became my daily driver, I was as poor as I had ever been; living solely on my Veterans disability salary and I made the hard choice to stop patching Ol’ Blue and begin rejuvenating him with entirely new components.
Electrical, specifically the turn signal and braking wiring was in dire need of replacements. I could have gotten whole painless kits for $4-500 dollars or non- specific universal harnesses for about half that, but over the years I had gone in an patched other peoples patches of other peoples patches. Ol’ Blue even had a brief (10 seconds) engine compartment fire in the headlight area 2 months after I brought him home while taking him on our first test drive after minor repairs.
We made it 100 feet when I saw the flashes and I popped out, shoved the hood into the sky and yanked the arching wires out and 10 feet backwards. I guess I should be thankful that the entire fuel system was rusted out and the only fuel in the engine compartment was the fuel I had poured into the carb.
I distinctly remember replacing the headlight wires with 16 gauge green wire that I had leftover from some other project. Don’t worry- I’ve since replaced these wires (about 5 years later), but that small electrical arching messed up other wires attached to the regulator. Blinker wires in particular.
For years I drove around with the turn signal pushed to indicate left and the front would work as indicated, but the rear would be opposite. And It wasn’t because I had the wires crossed- cause the right side worked. The brake lights worked, but the hazard lights flashed one size brighter than the other.
I learned early on that modifications were and are necessary and that even brand new, supposedly OEM parts that I purchased required numerous and various modifications to ‘fit’ my applications. I had to send 3 sets of headers back before I ended up cutting away a bit of the engine mount.
The odd blinker didn’t bother me much, until I started driving Ol’ Blue more and spectators everywhere we went came up and started boasting about how good he looked. I tried on 3 separate occasions over the years to splice in wires according to the schematic(s), but for all I knew the light blue wires were actually white 40 years earlier. The blue with white striped wires were likely black with blue stripes. Each time I tried to clean up the wiring, by day two I was bed ridden for a week. My neck and back just couldn’t take it.
The point is- that nothing was OR IS as it seemed and even a ‘Drop-In’ harness would need quite a bit of customizing. So I decided instead to build my own circuits- After all- I was trained in the Army as a Biomedical Repair Technician. It felt so good to rip out the existing wiring and start from scratch… I hate to tell on myself but I had stopped mid- repair those 3 times and most of it was held together by wire nuts and tape [ mostly electrical tape ;-). ]
I have many other mods that I will eventually write about, but this is a hobby site. If you’re inclined to donate a little $$ for the cause, I will write more in this series. Be sure mention in the comments what you wish to read more about. Those that donate get preferential treatment obviously.
I will be posting about power steering, disk brakes, electrical fans, led lights and more in the future– right now I am neck deep analyzing data for Pricing & Valuation for the 1st Generation Ford Bronco